Thursday, January 10, 2013

Unemplyment = cooking at home!




I am to the point where I am truly having to cook at home every night. I do enjoy cooking but I was used to a couple meals at the campus house every week and meals at a restaurant once in a while with students, in other words i didn't have to cook but a couple times a week. The one thing I don't enjoy though is the same meals, nor do i desire to be in the kitchen for two hours trying to put together a meal, so I am now addicted to pinterest for recipes!

I thought I would share some of those recipes with you and what i thought about them. I will only put the ones I actually liked and those that made it into my recipe book! All of these can be found on my pinterest as well!

Now first I do want to mention how I do a meal plan, usually only a week at a time until recently. Both of my grocery stores recently had a wonderful sale on their meats so I stocked up (about a months worth). I went though my recipes before hand, went through my pantry and wrote down the things I still needed to make several meals. Two hours and $85 dollars later I had a month worth of meals!
http://www.healthy-delicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/chicken-and-spinach-flautas.jpgFirst up is
Baked Chicken and Spinach Flautas
 These were my favorite thing I made this week...honestly my new favorite menu item! Mine actually looked that and tasted even better! Plus I made homemade salsa with it. Very easy and only 20 minutes in the oven.

Second one of the week was
Double Honey garlic chicken
This was my second favorite of the week. Though it has seven different spices in it, it made for a very interesting taste! Mine weren't real crunchy like the pictures, but it was a fun meal to make. Plus i only used half of the flour mix so i froze the rest for later.We served it over rice with a separate sauce, though they also made great sandwiches!

final suggestion of the week was Beef and Broccoli This meal is made in the crock pot and served over rice. Very easy as well. My sauce did not thicken up like the picture showed, but it was still really good. Eat it in a bowl!

1 comment:

  1. $85 for a months worth of meals! That sounds so cheap, but then again it might just be the difference in currency. I too don't like cooking the same meals either, and yet I can't bare the risk of new recipes turning out horrible, and everyone going hungry, which is why I like experimenting with dessert instead - a much safer option. Liking your blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete