Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Couponing is my Job! Part 1

Josh asked me the other day if I thought coupon-ing was my job. He thought maybe it was a hobby, something I would just do for a little bit. I sat there for a few seconds to think about the question. I had always teased about it, made jokes but I was also very serious about it. I answered "Yes. Yes it my job!"

I owe my mom a huge THANKS! I grew up with a mom who didn't leave the house without her little coupon envelope. A mom who shopped only the sales.  Even in college I bought a newspaper for the coupons and shopped with an ad. I was taught what a good bargain was and when to just window shop! But 18 months ago I got hooked on a blog happyhomemakercindy.com where a single mom posted all the local grocery store match-ups and had a coupon database (where you can search for any coupon and print straight from the database). I attended her class and realized there was a lot more I could be doing for my family and not only that but I could be donating products to charities!

Going back to Josh's question "Do you really think couponing is your job?" I had a two part answer.  I enjoy getting free stuff and donating, plus showing other people (like my sister) how to get a really good deals (50% off or more). Honestly it saddens me when I have friends who should really be using coupons but say they don't have the time. I spend 45 minutes a week clipping coupons! That should no longer be anyone's excuse!

Coupons are money to me. They are not "just a coupon." Also, I know they might not be valuable to just me so  I give people coupons all the time. I even donate my expired ones to a military family since they can use them for 6 months after the expiration date on their base. Yes I have even given a stranger a couple coupons for items in her cart. I am not saying all this brag on myself, to me it is common sense!

Now I will confess that I have had to just start giving away coupons just so I won't use them. I am fully (a year's worth) stocked on several items in my house, or I just don't have the space for it. I had noticed the last couple of months I had been buying things we just didn't need at the time, but it was $1 or less! I actually went through my closet space that is for hygiene products and pulled out 6 or 7 items to give to people because I just didn't need it. I am not a hoarder, nor will I ever be one!

Maybe you are asking how do you do it? Of course you have all the time in the world you are a stay at home mom...haha righhhht! Or maybe you only like specific brands. Or have picky kids. Or you just buy the off brand because its cheaper...wrong!! I can help with all that in another post. I will give several helpful tips. I will show you how to play the CVS game. I will also show you my stock pile and tell you what I pay for it.

So yes I am a stay at mom, wife, minister and a couponista!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I always considered it my contribution to the family finances, so, yes, it's a job! Love you!

    ReplyDelete