Monday, September 9, 2013

Sacred Marriage

When Josh and I were in marriage counseling we were asked to read a book called Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. I read this book and LOVED it. Now mind you that was at least six years ago. But through the years we have recommended it to friends and family and I don't think anyone has taken us up on that. So I am hear six years later reading it again and I am telling you all that are engaged or been married for 25 plus years please read this book!

My poor friend Cailyn has heard me talk and talk about this book for the last month as I have been re-reading it. Every week Cailyn, Ashlen and I get together at DQ to just catch up and I think this book comes up every week for me on "What have I learned about God this week?" Guys seriously you have to read this!

Ok so here is what the book is about! "What if God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy?" Yeah sit on that thought for a minute! The book really talks about how marriage is a selfless act. That we shouldn't consider marriage because we want to be happy but instead to be able to serve. He talks about marriages that have rocky spots and very rocky spots and how leaning on God and his love can show you more about yourself and your marriage then you can do on your own. here are a couple quotes from his book that pretty much made me cry! Really because I have been there and I truly wish I had re-read this book a couple years ago.

"Tell your (marital) story. Tell it to your kids, your friends, your brothers and sisters, but especially to each other. The more your story is implanted in your brain, the more it serves as a hedge against the myriad forces that seek to destroy your marriage. Make your story so familiar that is becomes part of the fabric of your being. It should become a legend that is shared through the generations as you grow a family tree and defies all odds and boasts marriage after marriage of stability and longevity."

"Every marriage has sorrows. There isn't a shared bedroom in this country where tension doesn't occasionally or perhaps frequently lift its snarling head. Many a pillow has been a solemn receptacle for soul felt tears, cried late at night or even all throughout the day. We don't get to choose which sorrows or trials we are called to bear, only that we must endure them."

"The challenge is not to keep on loving the person we thought we were marrying, but to love the person we marry."

"But true forgiveness is a process, not an event. It is rarely the case that we are able to forgive "one time" and the matter is settled. Far more often, we must relinquish our bitterness a dozen times or more, continually choosing to release the offender from our judgement."

I could keep going but then you should just read it for yourselves. I hope you get a chance to  look it over, he has several other books that i Intend to read this next year. 

"Forgiveness was something I could walk into." " Forgiveness doesn't imply or confer trust and it doesn't remove the pain." (it teaches obedience)

I could keep going but instead you should read the book! He has several other books that I intend to read this year. Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment