Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pinterest project...Book shelf


Alright it's official: I am back to my creating/crafting mindset again! We've been living in an apartment these last six weeks, so it was nice to move around and do something creative. I wanted to share the process of my latest project with you so I decided to  blog about it and explain it step-by-step. This whole project only cost us $6 and this is how I did it...




First, I took an old laminate bookshelf – just one of those cheap ones with fake wood grain and cardboard backing that you can buy at Wal-Mart – and sanded down the laminate. Not much, Just enough to rough it up so the primer and paint can soak in. This took about 30 minutes. Don't forget to do each of the shelves.








Second, you prime. You need to buy a primer that works on laminate and soaks into the wood. I used Zinsser Water-Base Primer (pictured below), which cost about $6 at Lowe's. I did two coats, but honestly I would only do one next time.



Thirdly, paint it any color you want using regular paint from your local hardware store. I used a leftover gallon from Josh's office, so it was FREE!
 
Finally, for the backing Josh used an old pallet. Now I have connections which got me free pallets (sorry, no handouts!), but you can go to Lowe's and they can sell you one of theirs from a previous shipment – usually just for a few bucks. Also, be sure to check out local industrial parks and businesses. Anyways we cut down the boards, I arranged them and nailed it down. The finished product looks great! I'm excited to get it in our new place.

I hope you enjoyed the process and be sure to ask any questions you may have about how to do this for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment