Saturday, December 8, 2012

Christmas through a toddlers eyes

Several weeks ago we had a wonderful friend surprise us with a Christmas tree and lights! This was a huge blessing for us and now every year when we put up this tree we will remember what amazing friends we have. The great thing was that we decorated it while Cadence was taking a nap. I got to teach Josh how to properly "fluff" a tree (thanks to my Hallmark years, I am pretty good at it... or just picky), and we got the lights and ornaments on them just in time for Cadence to wake up. Honestly we weren't planning on "surprising" Cadence, it just worked out this way. Let me just say this kid thought it was Christmas morning just walking out and seeing all the pretty lights. He pointed out all the colors and his favorite ornaments. Every morning he wants me to turn on the lights and has actually gotten in trouble several times for trying it himself!

I say this because I have watched Cadence over the last several weeks slowly realize that there is something special about Christmas. As a two year old he doesn't understand Baby Jesus but he also doesn't know about the presents or the hustle and bustle and stress the holidays can bring. We have made Christmas crafts, a countdown with daily activities and we have played with his Little People nativity.

I have been able to tell the Christmas story to Cadence most days this month or in some way talk about baby Jesus and I love it. I am getting the privilege and honor of introducing my Savior to my son. We have always prayed over him and even sung hymns at night, but I can slowly show him who God is from the beginning of his Son's life. I get to show that Christmas is not about lights, presents and food but instead the birth of a very special baby...JESUS! No he doesn't understand it yet but I know next year when he is older it may "click" and maybe he can tell me the Christmas story. And that thought brings joy to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment